The NOLA STARs chapter of RWA® offers numerous opportunities for members to connect, learn, network and promote themselves. See the overview and Calendar of Events below to find information about specific programs
The group holds regular meetings the second Saturday of each month, except for those months when special events such as conference take place (see calendar below). The regular meeting location is the Bossier Central Library History Center at 2206 Beckett Street.
For directions, click here.
Visitors are welcome to attend two meetings for free before deciding to become members.
Our meeting format is as follows:
• 9:00 – 9:50 Board Meeting – board members discuss ongoing activities, upcoming opportunities, national directives and other administrative and business matters. All members are welcome to attend
• 10:00 – 10:50 General Meeting – discussion of chapter business, announcements and member news
• 11:00 – noon Program – Speakers present workshops on topics of interest to writers, including craft, career and industry
Attendees can take advantage of breaks to socialize, meet visitors and sample member-provided snacks. Many members get together after the meeting to eat lunch at a nearby restaurant. All attendees are welcome to join us.
• Written In The Stars Spring Conference (March) – NOLA STARs’ fabulous Written in the Stars Conference gives an aspiring writer numerous opportunities to meet with industry professionals, including multi-published authors, literary agents and editors. With multiple tracks of workshops offered starting Friday evening and continuing into Saturday, there is something for writers at all levels of their career. For more information, please visit our Conference Page.
• The Suzannah Contest (Aug-Oct) – This contest is open to both published and unpublished writers and offers entrants the opportunity to get valuable feedback on their work in progress from readers, writers and, published authors.. In addition, the six highest scoring entrants will have their submission reviewed by a panel of six or more editors and agents. For more information, please visit our Contest Page.
• FALL SPECIAL EVENT (Oct) –
Each Fall, NOLA STARs schedules either a members-only retreat or an Open-To-The-Community day of writer focused workshops.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS – 2013
Jan 12 – Monthly Meeting
Dennis Clarkston – Interviewing Your Characters
Feb 09 – Monthly Meeting
Panel – Editing 101… Or How I Learned Not To Stink
March 1-2 ** Written In The Stars Conference
(No Monthly Meeting)
April 13 – Monthly Meeting
May 11 – Monthly Meeting
Robin Miller – Goal, Motivation and Conflict
June 8 – Monthly Meeting
July 13 – Monthly Meeting
August 10 – Monthly Meeting
Cynthia D’Alba – (Topic TBD)
September 1 ** Suzannah Contest opens for entries
September 14 – Monthly Meeting
October 13 ** Writer’s Boot Camp, located at BPCC
(No Monthly Meeting)
November 9 – Monthly Meeting
Becky Wade – Beyond The Basics: Taking Your Writing To The Next Level
December 8 – Special Christmas Program