The Suzannah Contest Rules
- Entries must be received before the deadline of midnight October 1st
- The contest will be closed after 120 completed entries are received and accepted, or when the deadline is reached, whichever occurs first.
- The entry fee is $30 for NOLA STARs members, and $35.00 for non-members.
Entries made BEFORE midnight CST August 31st receive a $5.00 early bird discount.
- Payments can be made via PayPal or check. Please note, if the email address you use for Paypal is different than the one you provide as your contact email, you MUST indicate this in the “Special Information” box of the entry form.
** Please note. An entry is not considered complete until entry AND payment AND entry form have been received.
- ALL entries must be received as an attachment and properly formatted (see below).
- Enter as many manuscripts as you like, but each entry must have its own payment and own entry form. Do NOT send one payment for multiple manuscripts. They MUST be submitted separately.
- Entry Forms must be completed via the website form found on the Contest Entry Form Page.
- Entries cannot be previously published in any form or under contract to be published. Should you contract or self-publish on or before November 30 (the day before finalists are announced) you MUST contact the coordinator and your entry and money will be returned.
*Failure to follow the rules can result in disqualification and your fee forfeited*
Special Rules for Writing Teams:
- Each member of the team must fill out an entry form separately but each entry form must have the exact information. BOTH entry forms shall be included in submitting the entry.
- The team must agree which individual will take care of the money and which individual will take possession of the trophy, should they win the grand prize. This information must be indicated on each entry form. (Only one trophy and one check for the full amount shall be issued.)
- Entry should be a maximum of 7,200 words, including synopsis (there is no restriction on length of synopsis, so long as the entire entry does NOT exceed 7,200). Use your computer counting feature to figure word length. If you are over, YOUR ENTRY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED and your fee refunded.
- Manuscript pages MUST come from your story’s opening.
- A readable font such as Times New Roman 12pt Font or Courier 12pt should be used.
- Standard formatting of 1″ margins and double-spacing should be used.
- Headers should be formatted as follows:
~ Category should be placed on the left side of the header.
~ Title and page numbers should be placed on the right.
- Your name should NOT be ANYWHERE ON THE ENTRY
- For purposes of JUDGE ASSIGNMENT ONLY, please list an appropriate sub-genre of romance for your manuscript. Examples would include (List not inclusive): Contemporary, Historical, Inspirational, New Adult, Paranormal, Suspense, Mystery, Young Adult, Erotica, LGBTQ, etc.
Note, optionally, you can more specifically categorize your entry with subgenres in parenthesis. For example: Paranormal (Urban Fantasy) , Mystery (Cozy), Historical (Regency), etc.
- Save your entry as an rtf with the title of your entry as the name of the file
- Your synopsis WILL be judged and should be formatted in the exact same manner as the manuscript. Please include your synopsis at the end of your manuscript and submit only ONE attachment.
- You will be provided with a form to submit your entry when your registration is complete.
PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK YOUR ENTRY BEFORE SENDING! If your entry is formatted incorrectly, you risk losing your spot in our contest. To avoid this, SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY CORRECT THE FIRST TIME!
Thanks and good luck in The Suzannah!